Skip to content

West of town

[The photographs are also included within the .mp3 file – view them via iTunes artwork, for example].

I took a drive to the other side of town (relative to where I live). These photographs are taken in the Saumarez Ponds area, west of Armidale.

An audioBlog accompanies these photographs [3.8 Mbytes, 8 min 49 sec duration]. The audio commentary is also distributed as a podcast. You need to subscribe to my RSS2 feed towards the bottom of the right hand column on this page and you need to use aggregator software capable of utilising this.

Dumaresq Railway Station 1
The Old Dumaresq Railway Station. This station, and those north of it, aren’t in use these days. The trains stop at Armidale. There is a movement to try and get freight back on the tracks running all the way up to the Queensland border.

Dumaresq Railway Station 2
The station is, essentially, in the middle of nowhere. This shot tries to illustrate that the station is in the midst of paddocks.

Old house
An old, unoccupied house near to Dumaresq Station.

Saumarez Creek
Saumarez Creek with water in it, albeit not much of a flow.

Old power pole
Near the creek, an old power pole. I had thought it to be an old telephone pole, but I think the insulators are more power-line-like.

St Nicholas Anglical Church
The old, used once a month, St. Nicholas Anglican Church. Again, I’m trying to illustrate that the church in in the middle of paddocks. It was founded in 1863 so would have served the neighbouring farms. Note that the church sign is the same shape as the church frontage (I, at least, take that as somebody’s sense of humour – of sorts).

6 Comments

1. Neil says:

Hi there,

You were correct with your first comment reguarding the pole and insulators , it was an old telephone post

Rural Australia was full of those posts up to the mid 1980’s , some had multiple crossarms with around 50 wires , insulators and crossovers.
    There are still a number of telephone/telegraph posts with those white insulators along railway lines but the post itself is made of rusted metal.

The insulator and swan-neck (bracket holding insulator) were re-used on Melbourne houses in the 1950’s , there are still a few houses still have one screwed into their fascia board attaching the phone line.

There are a few different insulator types , some are made of glass.

The insulators and swan-neck in your photo are the same as the one that I was able to aquire from a renovated house a few years back

cheers Neil

• Harlim says:

Yes, they did the same in SA reusing on houses and the few wooden poles carrying telephone lines. They replaced most of them with weak quality junk plastic and metal puny coils. My house still has 1, and the wooden pole the wire goes to I did some DIY work and changed the junk to an insulator. some1 else in the town has 1 on their wooden pole too. I have only seen a few places with the insulators still being used. quite a pity too they are a good collectors item.

2. Troy Gilbert says:

After being out at this station this morning it looks rather sad. There is lttle feed in the area and the station and the surrounding closed line look very neglected. Surely there can be a second use for these facilities rather than just let the area fall apart.

3. Graeme Monckton says:

Hi Gordon,
    We moved into Dumaresq when I was 4yrs old and lived on Old Inverell Road. As kids this area was like our backyard, as we used to roam the place even as far as the original Dumaresq school (where we attended). Dumaresq Hall was also there in those days, which is not far from this railway station, and it was built out of corrugated iron and we had many school functions and sports carnivals. The old house you have pictured, some Aboriginal families used to live in this house and they were our friends (approx 1960-1972). Thank you for sharing this site, as it brings back fond memories.
    Much thanks,
    Graeme

4. Ian Bettinson says:

Hi Gordon

I would be interested to know when St Nicholas Church was moved to its present day sight and why was it relocated.

Regards
    Ian

5. Hailim Illman says:

You should have got those insulators I would want them they are from 1941 by the looks of it.