Skip to content

Hannah at rest at Kilcoy

Hannah at rest at Kilcoy

I went to visit the small Kilcoy Cemetery this afternoon. Kilcoy is one of those communities that exists as a locale rather than as a village or township. To me the cemetery is rather special. It exists in the middle of nowhere. The Kilcoy Road off which the cemetery sits is not a thoroughfare (it may have once been). This gives the place a certain peacefulness (well, that is if you can ignore the barking dogs at the only property within sight).

The cemetery illustrates that many, if not most, of the early white settlers in the Kilcoy area came from Scotland. The names on the headstones (from memory) are McRae, McLennan, McLean, McClenaghan, McDonald, McPherson, Mackay, Cameron, Davidson, Finlayson, Hamilton, Fraser, Stewart and Coventry.

Several, with different surnames so presumably not the from the same family, were born in Ross-Shire, Scotland. I wonder if they knew each other before coming here?

9 Comments

1. sue catterall says:

Yes, nany of those buried here were related as land was given by the McLennan family for the burial ground. Where you find a McLennan you will always find a McRae and a McKenzie as they are all related. Cameron’s of “Fassifern” related to the McRae’s and McLennan’s. Roderick McLennan owned Kilcoy.

2. sue catterall says:

As you know the land on which Kilcoy cemetery stands originally belonged to “Coiningdale” (Finlayson) but is now on “Kilcoy” (McLennan) as the land changed hands. The land for the cemetery was dedicated on 23rd October, 1897 but used well before that date. It is situated on a hillside overlooking the Wollomombi River. It has an area of 4 acres and is in the Parish of Chandler, County of Clarke in the Armidale Land District, Dumaresq Shire eastern division. Many of the people buried here are related to one another. The Finlayson grave is connected to many of these families that are buried here.

3. Elizabeth Pollard says:

I am interested in researching the Finlayson surname. Not because I am a descendant, but for interest. I spent the first 5 years of my life at Rockvale and my parents were close friends of Peg Finlayson and my sister still goes to John Finlayson’s trout fishing in the beautiful waters their. Many Finlayson names are familiar to me and some show up in my own family history. My parents were also friends of Duncan McLennan and his wife at Kilcoy.

Elizabeth Pollard
    PO Box 296
    Uralla NSW 2358

4. sue catterall says:

Elizabeth if you could contact me on my email address I would love to swap some information with you. I am a direct descendant of the McRae’s of Kintail as well as the McLennan’s of Kelly’s Plains who were originally from Contin in Scotland. I am President of Clan MacLennan NSW & ACT and Vice President of Clan Cameron NSW. My mother whose maide name was Cameron (her father) and mother Annie Cameron (nee McLennan). My mother was formerly from Uralla, NSW.

Regards

Sue Catterall (Mrs) B.A., ADLAH

• Hello,
      My wife is Fiona jill McLennan. Her Grandfather was Fraser zMcLennan who was Rodericks brother. They arrived in Nelson New Zealand in 1860 from Kinlochewe in Scotland with their mother who was widowed. Fraser remained in New Zealand with Roderick moving to Orange and then to Griffith. This is our understanding at present.
      We have been trying to trace the Australian side of the family as we have recently had a trip to Scotland and have a Family Tree on My Heritage.

We live in Hervey Bay, Queensland. would be interested to hear from you
      Regards,
      Robin Muir

5. Elizabeth Pollard says:

Dear Sue

Nearly 2 years down the track and I find your reply post to mine.
    I would love to swap info with you re McRaes/ Finlaysons.

You may email on: eapollard1@optusnet.com.au.

Regards, Elizabeth Pollard in Uralla

6. Charmaine says:

Hello Sue, I have been trying madly to find your email, my computer crashed sometime ago and I lost all my email addresses yours included. I’ve been attempting to fix up some details I have on Donald John MCLENNAN who married Isabella ROBSON. You sent me an awful lot of info, unfortunately they were all (stupidly) left in my email account (I thought they would be saft there–stupid). I would like to know when Donald J MCLENNAN was born and who his parents were??
    Could you please contact me on
    budz11@bigpond.net.au

Thanking you
    Regards
    Charmaine

7. John Gillies says:

Great picture. Have been to Kilcoy, and it was a tremendous experience – a beautiful cemetery. Was delighted to find this photograph (Hannah was a great-great grand mother).

Regards,

John Gillies
    john.gillies@bigpond.com

8. Rob Muir says:

We believe that Roderick McLennan and my wife’s Grandfather were brothers. His name was Donald who came with his brother and Mother Isabell to Nelson, New Zealand in 1860. Does this tie up with your family history. My wife is Fiona Jill McLennan